The concept of a smart city is a framework for a vision of modern urban development. Of particular importance is Information Communication Technology (ICT) as a driver of economic competitiveness, environmental sustainability and living in general. With the help of ICT, smart cities accelerate economic growth, improve citizens’ lifestyles, open urban development opportunities, implement environmental sustainability initiatives, improve decision-making processes and ensure access to advanced financial services. The primary prerequisite for smart city development is the establishment of a platform for interconnecting all stakeholders of innovation-based development, not only in technological but also in organizational terms. The following is a vision:
CEKOM for smart cities is positioning itself as a leading institution in the Republic of Croatia and the wider region for the development and implementation of smart technologies in cities.
• Developing new knowledge, initiating and supporting long-term research collaboration between science and industry in the most complex research,
• Positioning the City of Rijeka as a testing platform for validating the concept while ensuring the participation of the most technologically advanced companies in the Republic of Croatia.
• Improvement and integration of existing research infrastructure, establishment of a collaborative M2M platform and integration into international projects, which will strengthen the position of Rijeka and Croatia as a development center and optimal location for long-term research projects.
General social goals
• Improving cooperation between the science and industry sectors
• Developing smart city projects based on a holistic approach
• Aligning strategic interests between industry and science, which will enable the launch of a new scientific and technological cycle of development and innovation, commercialization and preparation of the implementation of new products and services.
• Connecting national and local stakeholders in the areas of smart specialization (energy and sustainable environment, transport and mobility, security and ICT), and in the sectors of manufacturing of computers, electronic and optical products, electrical equipment, finished metal products, machines and appliances, services programming, consultancy and related activities.
• Strengthening human resources through attracting top researchers and supporting knowledge transfer to industry.
• Reduce gender discrimination – Achieve balanced participation of women and girls in the R&D sector.